The curriculum at Knayton is broad and balanced. We have a creative approach which is specifically tailored to our children’s needs. As staff we have given careful consideration to our children; their experiences and needs and developed a bespoke curriculum model that caters for them specifically.
Our curriculum intent is to:
- Ensure that all children feel safe and happy in order for them to achieve their absolute potential
- Have a positive impact on the local community
- Embed Christian values of kindness, friendship, respect and thankfulness
- To develop tolerance, empathy and tackle stereotypes, preparing children for life in modern Britain
- Prepare children for their next steps; from key stage to key stage and beyond
- Be child-led, engaging and exciting
- Develop creativity and collaboration skills
- Challenge each child to achieve
- Develop independence, growth mindset and resilience through meaningful and relevant content and approaches
- Encourage outdoor learning and use forest schools principles
- Engage parents and families
Our curriculum is implemented through Learning Missions. These are whole school, cross curricular topics that aim to inspire and excite children about new learning. The children go on a learning journey from launch to landing. Children use knowledge organisers to support their learning so they remember long term the content they have been taught.
We value each child’s contribution and individuality. Our Big Idea books are full of published work with we are proud to share with others. We also share our learning on our class blogs and social media.
When planning, consideration must be given to how best we can meet children’s needs, include all children and motivate them. The impact of our curriculum approach is that it truly inspires learners, igniting a learning passion and developing ‘learning for life’.
English and Maths are taught as discrete sessions in the morning, but wherever possible they will link to the current ‘Big Idea. The foundation subjects are taught with a focus on greater depth learning across all subjects. English and Maths skills are also applied across the curriculum. Weekly Science sessions link to our ‘Learning Missions' wherever possible. Teachers ensure a clear progression for all and have high expectations for children’s achievements in all subjects.
Our Learning Missions 2019/20
|Autumn Term 1||
Autumn Term 1
|Autumn Term 2||
Autumn Term 2
|Spring Term 1||
Spring Term 1
|Spring Term 2||
Spring Term 2
|Summer Term 1||Summer Term 2||
Summer Term 2
We are Readers!
Tracing our Past
Building our Future
|Easter||Beneath our Feet||We are Equal||What would Jesus do?|