PE & Sports Premium
At Knayton C of E Academy, we strive in delivering outstanding PE that allows pupils to be physically active, thrive in a broad range of physical activities and engage in competitive sports in a safe and challenging environment.
In PE, our intent is for pupils to:
- Thoroughly enjoy being physically active and have the confidence to participate in different sports
- Practise skills in a range of activities and to have the highest of expectations of themselves when performing these individually, in small groups and within a team
- Develop high levels of physical fitness through being active for sustained periods of time
- Understand the important of leading a healthy lifestyle through regular exercise and healthy nutrition
- Be advocates of PE and confidently talk about their achievements
This will be implemented in school by:
- Using an effective Long Term Plan for teachers to ensure pupils have access to broad range of physical activities
- High quality planning that ensures consistency in teaching throughout school and challenge for all
- Investing in the School Sports Partnership to allow all pupils to participate in competitions with local schools
- Investing in highly specialist PE teachers to work alongside teachers, ensuring they remained upskilled by providing them with a wealth of fun and innovative teaching ideas
- Providing opportunities for sporting professionals to visit the pupils and inspire them by sharing their achievements
- Sports Leaders promoting positive attitudes towards PE and motivating their peers into becoming passionate, respectful young sportsmen
The impact of our PE approach is:
- All children make outstanding progress in PE and enjoy participating in sport
- The profile of PE and sport is widely recognised and highly celebrated within school
- Termly tracking of standards across the curriculum using Classroom Monitor
- Teachers have increased confidence when delivering high quality PE lessons
- Pupils talk confidently about PE and their learning
What is Sports Premium Funding?
The Government is providing an additional £320 million to schools per annum to improve provision of Physical Education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding, provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, will be allocated to primary school head teachers. The funding can only be spent on the provision of PE and sport in schools.
Purpose of Funding
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- Supporting and engaging the least active children through new and additional clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- Running sports competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs
- Pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools
From September 2013, schools have been held to account over how they spend their additional, ring-fenced funding. Ofsted will monitor the use of the Sport Premium and its impact.
Schools will also be required to include details of their provision of PE and sport on their website, alongside details of their broader curriculum, so that parents can compare sports provision between schools, both within and beyond the school day.
What is Knayton C of E Academy doing with the PE funding?
The total allocated funding for the academic year 2019/20 is £17,270.
The Sports Premium will be spent on three key areas: inspiring the children, training the staff and providing opportunities for the children to compete. At Knayton Academy, we believe if we invest money in these three areas, children will be provided with the best PE education enabling them to reach their potential. This plan shows that we are planning for sustainability, as the children will be forever inspired, all teachers will deliver outstanding PE lessons and children will excel through numerous opportunities to participate in competitions.
Class teachers are upskilled as a result of this and ready to teach PE to their classes at an outstanding level. This year, school have plans to spend the funding on specialist coaches. We have already appointed a dance teacher to improve our dance provision and further encourage our children to lead a healthy and active lifestyle. In addition, we have appointed various sports coaches to support teachers and offer lunch time and after school clubs to our children. This will ensure that we continue to build on the standard of PE and Sports provision achieved over the last two years. For those children who didn’t reach the expected standard of swimming at the end of year 4 will have the opportunity to have further swimming lessons which will be funded through the sports premium.
In addition, we have ‘signed up’ to all of the local competitions which will allow our children to flourish in competitive situations. We have had many children progress to the finals of competitions over the past few years. The competition aspect of sport is a priority at Knayton as we want to see our children flourish and achieve great things in a range of sports.
SWIMMING DATA 2018/19
100% of our Year 6 children can swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25m.
100% of our Year 6 children can use a range of strokes effectively.
100% of our Year 6 children can perform safe, self-rescue in different water-based situations.