Our intent is to ensure children to participate in a variety of musical experiences and appreciate different forms of music. We aim to develop musical curiosity, self confidence and creativity of all children through the progression of study. We aim for children to leave Year 6 with a deep understanding of the music curriculum and to achieve excellent standards, including all aspects of the National Curriculum objectives . We aim that children have a broad understanding of music around the world and how this is embedded in different cultures.
We implement music through:
- The use of a specialist music teacher working across school
- A progressive and innovative curriculum, that builds on children's prior knowledge and skills
- Teaching that focuses on developing the children’s ability to understand rhythm and follow a beat. Children develop descriptive language skills in music lessons when learning about how music can represent different feelings, emotions and narratives.
- Having the highest expectations of our children. This enables them to explore technical vocabulary such as volume, pitch, beat and rhythm.
- Providing all children with opportunities to perform in front of their peers and wider audiences, enabling children to feel connected to music and each other. Nurture and positive relationships enable children to take risks in their learning, developing confidence and expertise.
- Creative and innovative teaching, which allows all children to have an opportunity to access high quality music and singing lessons with a specialist music teacher
- Our curriculum sequence of Launch, re Launch and Landing
The impact of our Music curriculum is children:
- Achieve their absolute potential by having the highest expectations of their learning
- Are confident to ask questions and extend their knowledge of music
- Feel uplifted and unified when performing music as part of a group
- Develop control over the use of the voice
- Have confidence and fulfilment that comes with achievement and participation in music and performance
Our 'Opportunities Pledge' ensures that children have the opportunity to:
- Perform in the Young Voices choir
- Join our 'Knayton choir'
- Learn a musical instrument
- Perform in productions
- Participate in music after school clubs
- Listen to live music and complete workshops through 'Sowerby Music'
- Weekly singing collective worships
Please click here for our knowledge and skills progression documents for music:
Our 'Recommended Reads' for music are below:
Here's what our children say:
"Mrs Watkinson brings in lots of different instruments for us to have a go with"
"I love getting to perform on the stage at Christmas and at the end of the year when we do the production".
"I loved going to The Globe Theatre in London, that was amazing!"