Our intent is to ensure children to participate in a variety of musical experiences and appreciate different forms of music. We aim to build up the confidence of all children through the progression of study. We aim for children to leave Year 6 with a deep understanding of the music curriculum. We aim that children have a broad understanding of music around the world and how this is embedded in different cultures.
We implement music through:
- Teaching that focuses on developing the children’s ability to understand rhythm and follow a beat. Children develop descriptive language skills in music lessons when learning about how music can represent different feelings, emotions and narratives.
- Having the highest expectations of our children. This enables them to explore technical vocabulary such as volume, pitch, beat and rhythm
- Providing children with opportunities to perform in front of their peers and wider audiences. Nurture and positive relationships enable children to take risks in their learning, developing confidence and expertise.
- Creative and innovative teaching, which allows all children to have an opportunity to access high quality music and singing lessons with a specialist music teacher
- Our curriculum sequence of Launch, re Launch and Landing
The impact of our Music curriculum is children:
- Achieve their absolute potential by having the highest expectations of their learning
- Be confident to ask questions and extend their knowledge. This is enabled by positive relationships and nurture
Here's what our children say:
"Mrs Watkinson brings in lots of different instruments for us to have a go with"
"I love getting to perform on the stage at Christmas and at the end of the year when we do the production".
"I loved going to The Globe Theatre in London, that was amazing!"