Our intent for our art approach is to allow children to express themselves as individuals and in a creative way. We value process over product and want children to feel confident to explore and develop their art skills.
Our intent is for children to:
- Achieve their absolute potential by having the highest expectations of their learning
- Be confident to ask questions and extend their knowledge.
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- Become proficient in drawing painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers
We implement our art curriculum through:
- In EYFS, we implement art through providing a wide range of media and materials in our environment. Children can choose ways to do things, and are give lots of opportunities to explore, for example, colour mixing and joining, supported by adult modelling and interaction
- We explore a wide range of artist's work, supporting children to consider whether they like it or not.
- Our curriculum sequence of Launch, re-Launch and Landing during 'art week'
- An art exhibition showcasing children’s work to the local community
- Trips and experiences focusing on art, artists and exhibitions
- Focus groups within Learning Mission time to model and scaffold art skills. Nurture and relationships allow adults to support children to experiment and challenge themselves
- Learning Mission journeys that reflect what is being taught
- Learning mission books that are high quality, show a range of art and evidence the highest expectations
- The use of sketch books to practise and develop art skills over time
- A creative and innovative approach using a range of high quality resources and medium
The National Curriculum provides a structure and skill development for the art curriculum being taught. This is linked to our Learning Missions to provide a creative approach, which reflects a balanced programme of study.
The impact of our art approach is children love expressing themselves through a range of medium and are proud of their creations.
Here's what our children say:
"It is immersive. When I'm painting or sketching, I can let my mind flow. It helps me concentrate", Charlie, Year 6
"Art at school is always creative and unique". Jess, Year 6