Our intent for our art approach is to allow children to express themselves as individuals and in a creative way. We value process over product and want children to feel confident to explore and develop their art skills.
Our intent is for children to:
- To inspire, engage and challenge our children, through a safe and happy learning environment, to achieve excellent standards including all aspects of the National Curriculum objectives for art
- Allow children to express themselves as individuals and in a creative way
- Valuing process over product and children feeling confident to explore and develop their art skills
- For children to achieve their absolute potential by having the highest expectations of their learning
- Children being confident to ask questions and extend their knowledge
- Produce high quality work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- Become proficient in drawing painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers (including local, national and global) and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms
We implement our art curriculum through:
- In EYFS, we implement art through providing a wide range of media and materials in our environment. Children can choose ways to do things, and are given opportunities to explore different mediums, processes and techniques. This is supported by adult modelling and interaction
- Cross-curricular ‘Learning Missions’. The curriculum is mapped from EYFS to Year 6. The curriculum progresses each year (see curriculum progression document) through knowledge and skills
- Learning Missions include ‘focus tasks’ which every child completes linked to National Curriculum objectives. The children then have a choice of additional activities to further learning, practise retrieval and apply their knowledge to different contexts
- Learning Missions begin with a launch to spark children’s interests, engage them in their learning and end with a landing to celebrate the learning journey. High quality core texts are used to further enhance the curriculum
- Knowledge organisers are used to ensure key knowledge and vocabulary is introduced. Teachers ensure that knowledge organisers build on previous learning and that pupils remember their learning
- Children explore a wide range of artist's work. Inspiring artists are planned and mapped from EYFS to Year 6
- We celebrate local artists and host visits and experiences to inspire our children. These are mapped in our 'Opportunities Pledge'
- ‘Art week’ ensures we celebrate our art curriculum. We host an art exhibition showcasing children’s work to the local community
- The use of individual sketch books to practise, develop and record art skills over time and ensure children focus on 'process not product'
- the use of learning mission books and our art subject book that are high quality, show a range of art and evidence the highest expectations
- A creative and innovative approach using a range of high quality resources and medium
- The Opportunities Pledge, which ensures that every child has access to a wide range of opportunities that enhance the curriculum. This includes art galleries, artists and exhibitions
Nurture and relationships allow adults to support children to experiment and challenge themselves
Learning mission books are high quality, show a range of art and evidence the highest expectations
A creative and innovative approach using a range of high quality resources and medium
The impact of our art approach is children love expressing themselves through a range of medium and are proud of their creations.
Please click here for our knowledge and skills and vocabulary progression documents for Art and Design:
Please see below for our recommended reads for art:
Here's what our children say:
"It is immersive. When I'm painting or sketching, I can let my mind flow. It helps me concentrate"
"Art at school is always creative and unique"
"My sketch book is useful for practising and using different materials"
"I love that we get to do so many different styles of art. We do drawing, painting, clay, sketching"